Shavonne Dorsey

e02810621e49-DSC02602web.png

Shavonne Dorsey

Shavonne@ShavonneDorsey.com

@ShavonneDorsey

http://www.ShavonneDorsey.com

Country

United States

State / Region

Texas

Fashion Label

ABOUT

I am a Plus Size Designer that provides women with classy pieces that are not overly pretentious but still womanly enough to be taken seriously. I celebrate and love to design for the natural curves and sizes that plus size women beautifully possess. I start at size 14, which is 70% of the American population. :)

Shavonne, what are your passion and aspiration in life? How did you start as a Fashion Label?

I am passionate about loving what I do. The passion of what I do stems from the thousands of women I've dressed and designed for over the years. The reward is when plus size women wear my designs, and they forget they are plus size and remember that they are beautiful.

Who is your inspiration in life Shavonne? How do you stay inspired as a Fashion Label?

My inspiration in life was my Grandmother. She was a first lady in the church and represented the most powerful and rare form of extreme femininity with grace, class and strength.

We all make mistakes Shavonne; we wish we could take back. What was the mistake you made in the past that you wish you can take back?

I wish I started my fashion career sooner. I sketched for 3 or 4 years before I started to take things seriously.

Shavonne, How do you describe yourself in terms of working with clients?

I listen, and I observe about 80% of the time. The other 20% is teaching, helping and encouraging my clients that size is not the focus, but YOU are.

Please tell us Shavonne, how do you prioritise work, social life, friends, and family?

Shavonne Dorsey Inc.'s mission is God first, family second and career third. I realise that it's important to remain spiritually connected. Life is about the connection to people, family and friends; without it, you start to die mentally, emotionally and spiritually. People make life fun!

Shavonne, please give us an example of a time when you were able to persuade someone to see things your way at work successfully.

I listened to their viewpoint and asked how we can combine our thoughts to create something. Just because I respected them and initiated the idea of collaboration, they valued that and in turn went with my idea. When you respect a person's thoughts, they respect you.

Shavonne, please tell us about your proudest professional accomplishment as a Fashion Label.

My proudest moment was when I was accepted into Macy's Chicago Fashion Incubator Program as the first Plus Size Designer for that program, ever.

Shavonne, please give us an example of a time you were able to be creative with your work. What was exciting or difficult about it?

I was able to be creative when I was designing custom pieces for plus size clients. That was exciting because I was allowed to incorporate their personalities and 
lifestyles while filtering in my sense of fashion, for them exclusively. It's fun when you're creating something that doesn't exist anywhere else, nor can be grabbed at a major department store.

What advice would you give to the people who want to be successful as a Fashion Label?

Never, ever stop. Every day, do something closer to get to your goal. Whether it's and an email, phone call or meeting, or chatting to strangers about your business. Every day does something closer to get you where you want to be.

Photo Credits:

Photographer Chris Booth @Mrfotobooth 
Model: Jasmine Anderson @ModelJasminea
Stylist: @Noir.funk 
Hair: Lauren Love @Inloving_colour