I studied Arts. A painter and sculptor, I was looking for new mediums to express ideas and feelings. The first IsagusExtroversions Collection was only on paper; I started it has a joke, a challenge. I wanted to see if it is possible to express ideas through Fashion with the unconventional material. In 2011, strong with my paper dresses experience, I extended it to any material I find possible to work with. I construct neo-glamorous gowns with things that are unwanted or considered not useful anymore, as well as up cycling newspapers, political campaigns posters, doll heads, chicken feathers, gloves, shoes, organic material, plastic wraps... or guns and bullets, seeking beauty into the trash and common things.
Putting together all production of a clothing Art season, I create events around my “new collection”, interacting with the public in places unexpected to be Fashion places (train stations, post offices...) as well as proper catwalks during Fashion Weeks.
Each dress I present is unique, has a name, a story to tell, a message to deliver or a concept hidden behind; trash pollution or nuclear danger, stolen childhood, human trafficking, ethnic diversities, ancestral traditions, violence, wars, sexism, racism, as well as the gun control problem in the US. I try to play with Be idea of restoring aesthetic values to objects that have been discarded.
- DC Fashion Week, as a special guest, Washington DC (2012-2013-2014-2015)
- The Paper Dresses (2011)
- The Barbisagus (2011-2012)
- The Obamaniac Collection, shown in several places during elections times, and for President Obama 2nd Inauguration Day (Presidential Inaugural show 2013)
- the Union Station show (after my Obamania, I was contacted by the mayor of Washington DC office to perform at beautiful Union Station on the occasion of Earth Day (2013)
- Moved to the Balkans in 2012, I organized workshops with children around recycling and fashion, and create what became the greatest and more popular event in Tirana at Spring time. The Tirana Trashion show, with EU Environmental Festival (2013-2014-2015-2016...) kids, teenagers, students, parents, teachers, adults are preparing months in advance to show their work at this annual meeting.
- the Internal Terror, a performance and photo shooting, Washington DC (2014)
- Don’t Shoot, a performance @ArtBasel Miami show (2014)
- The Presidential Palace Extravagancies, organized by First Lady Of Albania (2015)
- Kosova International Fashion Week, as a special guest (2015)
- Moved to Ukraine in 2015 where the husband is posted. First Photo exhibition in Kiev.
- “Beyond The Little Black Dress” show, DC (2015)
- “Fear Kills”, guns in the hands of the artists, Miami (2015)
- Green Night @theFrenchEmbassy, DC (2015)
- Conférence Of Paris, COP21, received a special price of the judges for my recycling material collection @Recycl’it competition.
- The AntiFashion show, Kiev Ukraine (2016)
- “Prêt-à-Jeter” Kiev & Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine (2016)
- “Color Me A Candidate”, a performance with a colouring dress about US elections @ ArtAllNight (2016)
- “Period Is Not A Handicap”, performance and photo shooting, DC (2016)
- “Don’t Shoot, Fear Kills” @ArtBaselMiami (2016)
- “Act Up”night @theNewseum, or how artists are sending messages through Arts.
- “Invisible Visible” about the burka (2016)
- Green Fashion in Pink, Rockville MD (2016)
- Kiev International School TrashionShow (2017, to become an annual meeting between ecological talkings and fashion)
- The Brussels show, under High Patronage Of the President Of EU Parliament (2017)
- The Chernobyl Bride performance @Biennale Venice (2017)
- The Chernobyl Bride Project @Chernolying Festival (1st festival in the Chernobyl zone 2017), the Chernobyl Bride Project becomes throughout the months, a very big project which includes performances, video arts, installations, and photo exhibitions... to be continued
Would you like to complete our full Editorial interview or skip straight to uploading your photos? (12 more interview questions).
Our readers would love to get to know you more Isagus. Tell us about yourself, what is unique about you?
First of all, everyone is unique. What makes me create unique pieces of clothing is that I don’t want to be dressed like everyone one. I designed and “customized” my clothes since an early age, refusing the mass industrial process. How embarrassing is arriving at a Party and discovering your friend wears the same dress, or worse, your enemy:-) I think the protocol of VIP might have someone who is in charge of this situation not to happen, the movie stars try to have unique pieces. A few months ago, the President of Andalusia Region (a region of Spain) arrived at a meeting with the Queen of Spain dressed in a very similar red dress. This situation cost his job to the consul of Spain in Washington who made a joke about this lady not knowing about protocol on his personal Facebook page...
Isagus, what are your passion and aspiration in life? How did you start as a Designer?
I’m inspired by girls who are fighting for their right to education. Malala is my hero! I admire Michelle Obama and Mrs Rosa Parks. But my inspiration comes from traditions and ancient cultures. As a Global Nomad (I’m half French half Spanish, with a home base in Geneva, Switzerland, but I have been travelling and living in many places around the world, and I feel more a citizen of the world), I integrate each culture and traditions very deep into mine. Of course, The Eiffel Tower is my reference, and I try to often place it into my designs, but I love so much traditional clothing. I collect when I can use old clothes and traditional wedding dresses. I aspire to talk about our society problem through Art. I have an ambiguous relation with Fashion: I’m fascinated by those amazing designers whose creativity seems infinite, but I’m Pissed of Fast Fashion, number one cause of pollution on the planet!
Who is your inspiration in life Isagus? How do you keep inspired?
Oops! I think I already answered to this in the Q13, sorry! 🤭.but to repeat, I’m inspired by women, the ones who work hard to raise their family, the ones who lead or initiate the vs sexual harassment movement, or the ones who have the courage of speak in public about what is wrong, what they believe has to be said. I spoke about Malala; I could tell I admire Meryl Streep for her speeches, I could say, Michelle, as well as I, could tell you why I could be inspired by Angela Merkel. Because I can imagine how hard she had to fight to become the only stable political figure in this decadent males world... I’m inspired by people in general, always amazed by the ancestral knowledge, the traditions, and the cultural diversity.
My main source of inspiration is people and what surrounds me. Of course, the Eiffel Tower will stay my reference for ever, and I try to integrate “her” in my work, many times. But, I began to be an artist because I wanted to express feelings, mine and others. I wanted to talk about how I feel in the world, how I feel about this crazy world We live in, about what hurts me, makes me happy, about what is wrong, about the destruction of our beautiful nature, or social inequality, about sexism, or intolerance, about life or about what make us Humans.
We all make mistakes Isagus; we wish we could take back. Please tell us about time being a Designer; you wish you’d handled a situation differently with a colleague.
At my first catwalk, I wasn’t prepared, I didn’t know how to organize the whole thing. I was extremely stressed, and about to have a nervous breakdown. I can imagine how annoying was this for the other designers I was sharing the catwalk with. After the show, I went for some drinks with them and apologized for my immaturity. They were laughing. Now, most of the people know I’m the most disorganized person, a big mess... but at the end, everything looks perfect, and I don’t understand this miracle yet...
Isagus, when you’re working with a large number of clients, it’s tricky to deliver excellent service to them all. As a Designer, how do you go about prioritizing your clients’ needs?
I don’t do production series, maybe one day I will do, but until now, I do not have a real problem with dead lines or delivering. I build unique art fashion pieces to be exhibited in the museum, or fairs, and to parade in Fashion Show with a special message. I don’t sell a lot of piece for the moment.
Please tell us Isagus, about a time you had to be very strategic to meet all your top priorities as a Designer?
I’m a total mess with organizing, but I know exactly what the result must be. I visualize the whole thing, but I don’t know how I arrive at the results, a lot of stress in between I suppose
Isagus, please give us an example of a time when you were able to successfully persuade someone to see things your way at work.
I work alone at home, absolutely dedicated to my tasks. When I have to persuade someone, is more a photographer with an angle I find more interested in photographing. Of course, photographers don’t like advice and know perfectly their jobs, and better than me... after all, I realize I was wrong, and they are right!
Isagus, please tell us about your proudest professional accomplishment as a Designer. There might be many, but there is always this proudest moment that you just want with share to everyone. What is it and why?
The Presidential Inaugural Show for Obama Second Inauguration
Isagus, please give us an example of a time you were able to be creative with your work. What was exciting or difficult about it?
The main difficulty is finding on my way is the difficult material I decide to work with: many time unappropriate for a dress or a jacket...
What advice would you give to the people who want to be successful as a Designer?
The design might be unique. If you integrate a lot of yourself in what you do, I will talk.
Are you looking for collaboration with fashion talents, brands and creatives? If yes, please state what type of collaboration you are looking for?
I would like to develop my brand, lots of ideas in my head of nice clothing but don’t know how to produce the demand.
Photographed by IsagusExtroversions